strangefate

Tower of Iron Will

All who enter the Tower regain 100 sanity points.

Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
Randall Munroe, James Foreman, K. Sekelsky, Camron Miller, John Chernega, David Michael Wharton, K.M. Lawrence, Jeffrey C. Wells, Vera Brosgol, Kit Yona, J. Jack Unrau, Jeff Stautz, Aaron Diaz, Matthew Bennardo, Yahtzee Croshaw, Douglas J. Lane, Brian Quinlan, Kate Beaton

Hello, my name is Ruben, and I am a recovering superhero

Buzzkill - Donny Cates, Mark Reznicek, Patrick Thorpe, Geoff Shaw

Buzz Kill is the story of a superhero who gets his powers from alcohol and drugs. That may sound like the premise of a superhero parody, but it is actually a marginally sincere look at someone attempting to get sober while everything in his life is pulling him away from sobriety. I say marginally sincere because the creators undercut the plot by having the hero's support group be a front for a group of villains who just want the protagonist to get clean so he will loose his powers and then they can get their revenge on him.

I can't decided if the creators are using the tropes of superhero comics as a metaphor for the delusional world of an addict, or are they superhero fans who just thought this would be a clever twist on a superhero backstory. The story works either way, and that is a kind of ambiguity you rarely fine in superhero comics.