strangefate

Tower of Iron Will

All who enter the Tower regain 100 sanity points.

Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
Randall Munroe, James Foreman, K. Sekelsky, Camron Miller, John Chernega, David Michael Wharton, K.M. Lawrence, Jeffrey C. Wells, Vera Brosgol, Kit Yona, J. Jack Unrau, Jeff Stautz, Aaron Diaz, Matthew Bennardo, Yahtzee Croshaw, Douglas J. Lane, Brian Quinlan, Kate Beaton
Orphans of Chaos - John C. Wright I love Fantasy novels with a well worked out theory of magic, and Orphans of Chaos has one of the best I have read in a long time. Five students at a boarding school are kept in the dark about their past and their powers. Each student has a unique way of manipulating the forces of chaos. The main character is able to perceive higher dimensions and manipulate matter on a level invisible to others. Each student's abilities trumps that of another student but are in turn trumped by a different student. I was fascinated by how Wright worked out this system and incorporated it into a narrative connected to the Titans of Greek mythology.

On the downside, Wright has a rather sexist way of writing the female characters. I found this annoying and kind of intrusive, but not bad enough that it affected my enjoyment of the plot and background elements.