strangefate

Tower of Iron Will

All who enter the Tower regain 100 sanity points.

Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
Randall Munroe, James Foreman, K. Sekelsky, Camron Miller, John Chernega, David Michael Wharton, K.M. Lawrence, Jeffrey C. Wells, Vera Brosgol, Kit Yona, J. Jack Unrau, Jeff Stautz, Aaron Diaz, Matthew Bennardo, Yahtzee Croshaw, Douglas J. Lane, Brian Quinlan, Kate Beaton
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth - Grant Morrison, Dave McKean One of the strengths of the Batman character is that he is open to multiple interpretations, ranging from the campy to the psychotic. Here Morrison gives us a Batman who questions his own sanity and seems to get swept up in the madness of the Arkham Asylum inmates. This is a version of Batman that would not play well in mainstream superhero comics but within the context of this story it works.

Dave McKean's art is justly praised, but I find myself wondering if the story would work as well if rendered in a more realistic style. I suspect that divorced from McKean's shadowy abstract art the story by itself would be considered bizarrely out of character for Batman.

Letterer Gaspar Saladino gives each character a unique font style which is very creative, but between the coloring and the messy style of the Joker's lettering I found it difficult to decipher what the Joker was saying. Maybe that was the point.