strangefate

Tower of Iron Will

All who enter the Tower regain 100 sanity points.

Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
Randall Munroe, James Foreman, K. Sekelsky, Camron Miller, John Chernega, David Michael Wharton, K.M. Lawrence, Jeffrey C. Wells, Vera Brosgol, Kit Yona, J. Jack Unrau, Jeff Stautz, Aaron Diaz, Matthew Bennardo, Yahtzee Croshaw, Douglas J. Lane, Brian Quinlan, Kate Beaton
Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery - Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely "They bypassed the death of their reality by becoming fictional in ours" "We can save the world ... if I can just remember my magic word"

Flex Mentallo may not be Grant Morrison's best graphic novel, but it is the key to understanding the more cryptic and abstruse elements of his other work. So many of the themes that Morrison revisits again and again in works like Invisibles, the Filth, Marvel Boy, Final Crisis, even JLA and All-Star Superman, appear in Flex Mentallo in their most concise and I would argue clearest form: a fictional world breaking through into mundane reality, the seeming end of the world transformed into humanity's transcendence, comic book superheroes as archetypal mythological figures, the seamier aspects of superheroes with their fetishistic costumes, as well as their purity as childhood symbols of incorruptible virtue; Morrison lays it all out in one creepy hallucinatory burst in Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery.

After reading this you will either be inspired or want to take a shower, possibly both.