strangefate

Tower of Iron Will

All who enter the Tower regain 100 sanity points.

Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
Randall Munroe, James Foreman, K. Sekelsky, Camron Miller, John Chernega, David Michael Wharton, K.M. Lawrence, Jeffrey C. Wells, Vera Brosgol, Kit Yona, J. Jack Unrau, Jeff Stautz, Aaron Diaz, Matthew Bennardo, Yahtzee Croshaw, Douglas J. Lane, Brian Quinlan, Kate Beaton

Unearned Event

Justice League Vol. 7: Darkseid War Part 1 (Jla (Justice League of America)) - Geoff Johns, Jason Fabok

The premise here is that Darkseid has a daughter by an Amazon and she has been preparing her whole life to kill her father. To that end she summons the Anti-Monitor to Earth to set up a confrontation between the two most mega powerful bad guys in the DC Universe. If I had read this when I was 8 years old I'm sure I would have loved it, but as it is it feels like an unearned epic. A confrontation between Darkseid and the Anti-Monitor needs a long build up to set the tone. You can't just toss them at each other like action figures.

Johns gives us some backstory for the Anti-Monitor, but it only serves to make him seem more like an expy of Galactus, which he has always been. He also adds some angst to Scott Free's relationship with New Genesis after he was handed over to Apokolips. A few DC characters get elevated to godlike power levels and as a result become even bigger jerks than before. Jason Fabok is new to me, but his superhero art is gorgeous, he could be DC's new George Perez.