strangefate

Tower of Iron Will

All who enter the Tower regain 100 sanity points.

Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die
Randall Munroe, James Foreman, K. Sekelsky, Camron Miller, John Chernega, David Michael Wharton, K.M. Lawrence, Jeffrey C. Wells, Vera Brosgol, Kit Yona, J. Jack Unrau, Jeff Stautz, Aaron Diaz, Matthew Bennardo, Yahtzee Croshaw, Douglas J. Lane, Brian Quinlan, Kate Beaton

Proper Moral Examples

Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

Little Women is one of the established classics and shows up on all the "100 Must Read" lists. It has been on my to-read list for years and I finally checked it off. It took some adjusting to get used to Alcott's style. The novel is unapologetically sentimental and sweet in a way that modern ironic fiction can never be. I'm tempted to say there is no irony in Little Women, although the fact that by the end of the book Jo still hasn't realized she loves Laurence is a tad ironic, especially when every reader will have paired them up by chapter 4.

I had to put the book down for a couple of months because I was starting to hate Mrs. March. The way she arrives at the end of each of the early chapters to provide a moralizing speech about idleness or vanity to her precious little angels really starts to wear. It is relief when the plot starts moving enough to get us beyond the chapter closing sermons, in so much as Little Women has a plot beyond "sweet young ladies learn valuable lessons". I suspect if Little Women was published for the first time today it would be as Inspirational Fiction due to its religious content, scrupulously clean romance, and moral overtones.